Helma 1.7 wishlist
Some vague feature ideas for Helma 1.7
- HopObject-less Helma applications
- Programmatically defined HopObject mappings
- Logical next step would be to bring those two together and "re-conventionalize" automatic root object lookup
Start using SessionManager to actually implement different session management schemes.
- db persistence
- client based persistence
- replication/load balancing
Status: nothing so far. What we could possibly do is implement HopObject persistence for session nodes (mapping to a Session object).
This is a very useful idea to take from Django. This allows developers to create a base.html template with the shared XHtml boilerplate code, and let sub-templates fill in the actual content.
The subskins feature introduced in Helma 1.6 are a perfect fit for this. Extending a skin would have the same effect as partially overriding a skin from another repository: Some subkins may be overridden, the others (and usually the main skin) are inherited from the base skin.
Status: Still trying to come up with a syntax for this that is neither ugly nor breaks existing code.
- Extend and enhance helma.File.js and other modules
- Url.js that parses all fields (rfc3986) and allows to set them. examples: python like urlparser or minimalistic parseUri
- Start removing core extensions in favor of modules?
Allow to pass 0..n arguments to res.write(), res.writeln(), res.debug() and similar methods. My proposal is to write out arguments separated by a single whitespace like print does in python.
Status: pending due to performance considerations regarding java varchar.
- Provide full configurability when running Helma in embedded (tomcat) mode.
- Support Jürg Lehni's rhino extensions
Support JSAdapteralready in helma 1.6.2
- allow apps.properties extensions to be defined in app.properties (without the "appname." prefix)
- Rewrite helmadoc to rewrite with standard rhino (no more token patch)
- Drop helma.doc package, maybe in favour of jsdoc-toolkit, or get token parsing funcitonality accepted into rhino cvs.
- Debian/Ubuntu package for Helma